Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Joyfully Living and this Blog's Purpose

Nowadays, everyone has something to say--whether good or bad. Plato once said
 "Wise men speak because they have to something to say; 
Fools because they have to say something."

For the longest time, I have debated about publishing this blog. I don't think I am wise, but I feel like I can add some sunshine to the world. I want to write to give others' hope. I want to share the many life lessons that I am learning as I mature through adulthood and motherhood.

As a stay-at-home mother, I have struggled to find peace at home and peace within as I have tried to personally define success and my worth. For the longest time, success meant:
  • the number of "A's" as a student throughout high school and college
  • graduating top of my high school class
  • earning a 4 year nursing degree
  • the number of hours worked and money earned 
  • a title: the Head Health Director over a small facility for elderly and mentally delayed adults 
  • a position of great responsibility: psychiatric nurse caring for 70 some adolescent patients
  • the academic and medical achievements of my husband
  • the number of tasks I accomplished on my long to-do list
  • the number of projects I have completed
  • the amount of compliments from others
All these external influences would define my success and worth in the world. It took me awhile, but I have learned that success and joy come through hard work and growth. Being a mother of a 2.5 year old boy ("S") and an 8 month old girl ("SA") have been the the most difficult and rewarding opportunities in my life.


I was reading an article titled "The Plan of Happiness" where the author discussed the joys of marriage and children. He describes the journey of love from the young romantic flirtations and  commitment to the maturing love of endurance with one's partner through trials to finally the completed love of the coming of children. He also comments that he once read that "two essential ingredients to a successful marriage are a cookie and a kiss."

Thus the title for this blog blossomed. I am not a masterful cook or a seasoned expert on love and parenthood, but I do know that the art of success is what you do with the ingredients given to you. It is the process that makes you wise. 

My children make me laugh. My children can make me cry. Sometimes my children cry and cry and cry, but with just one kiss, I can make them smile. 

So for me now, success is a cookie and a kiss. I hope to share with you my metaphorical "cookies" and "kisses" to help add some happiness into your life.


 XOXO


Referenced:
"The Plan of Happiness" by President Boyd K. Packer, April 2015,
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/04/the-plan-of-happiness?lang=eng 

No comments:

Post a Comment